I have a lot of updating to do, but so much that it seems to daunting to start, so I’m just going to jump in where I’m at and get over the fact that it isn’t neat and orderly and all in one place.

Short version: Surgery so successful that I only spent one day in the ICU, and went home a day later.

The before and after shot just show the difference the surgery made. Coming out of the anesthesia, when they asked me how I felt, I said that I felt 100% better, back to myself. I was obviously high on drugs, but seriously, the flaming ball of hot poker spikes in the middle of my head was gone for the first time since the end of last year, and the relief is amazing.

The first night in the ICU was truly bizarre. The steroids that they have me on to prevent brain swelling have the most bizarre side effects. It felt as if my brain was going through a hard drive defrag, and all sorts of really old memories would flash in front of my eyes, and I could slow it down and read words on it. Things like Jeremy’s Homework Assignment Book (HAB) from 6th grade, next to a view from my grandmother’s kitchen window. Fireworks and scenes from space movies, flying through the stars into worm holes and such. It was sort of cool at first, but just would not stop and started to freak me the hell out. I’ve since heard that for some people, it’s flying snakes and spiders, so I guess I got off easy.

Due to that sensitive reaction though, they are weaning me off of them very, very slowly, over a month instead of two weeks.

I keep wondering what is actually physically happening in the middle of the brain. Does the space where the tumor was fill up with fluid? Does the brain slowly readjust into that space? I’ll see the surgeon again on 10/9, and my PCP earlier to take out the staples.

5 thoughts on “Done!”

  1. Lisa, you had a great surgeon eith a very “now” approach to neurosurgery. Imagine anyone ever thinking that going up through all that brain to get to something right on top! It will be interesting to hear twhat is said about how the space formerly occupied by the tumor is filled. My guess is that it did so rather quickly, with just your very good brain. That you felt immediate relief from the spiky thing was not due to drugs. They don’t start giving you those until you are good and awake. I really like the brain defrag analogy. Be of good cheer sweetheart. We who know you do indeed love you.

  2. I am so delighted to hear the brilliant news from the horse’s mouth…and so soon. Don’t overdo it, but I am so, so happy. Very interesting post about the memories emerging, and mostly just brilliant news that you felt so much better so immediately. That surgeon deserves your home baking for a week or two, and that’s just for starters (not forgetting all your friends in Hawaii for all they’ve done for you). Many people around the world will be feeling better today on hearing all this. HOOOOOORAY!

  3. Lisa your immediate visible recovery is so fantastic. Your vivid descriptions of the events and the vocabulary you now use tell me your brain is making rapid recovery. You need to write a book, and in it highlight the almost catastrophic failure of our Healthcare system allowing insurance companies to almost let you die rather than take a risk on you and decrease their profits. Beyond thrilled you found a surgeon and you are withe us returning to normal.

  4. Thrilled that you are doing so well! Don’t forget to have patience with yourself, rest, and recuperate. The pictures were worth a thousand words.

  5. This is truly joyful to hear and so glad that your brain and fingers are tripping happily across a keyboard! And so glad that you will (at some point in the future) be able to TRULY enjoy Hawaii once you are up and tripping through the grounds with Frank. Just thinking that you will be able to walk sanely, talk and read and write comfortably, see and hug loved ones, play with your puppies and all other furry friends brings tears of joy to me.


Leave a Comment